No purchase necessary. This Contest is intended for viewing and participation in Canada only. Do not proceed if you are not a legal resident of Canada at time of participation. Entry in this Contest constitutes acceptance of these Contest rules. The Contest rules are a contract, so read them carefully before entering. Without limitation, this contract includes indemnities to the releases from you and a limitation of your rights and remedies.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS
Meaning of Home Contest (the “Contest”)
- Contest starts at 12:01 AM ET on October 10, 2017 and continues until 11:59 PM ET on November 30, 2017, the Contest Closing Date (the “Contest Period”).
- There is one (1) Grand Prize available to be won, consisting of one (1) iPad Wi-Fi 32GB – Silver, model number MP2G2CL/A, one (1) Apple Magic Keyboard, model number MLA22LL/A, one (1) iPad Air Smart Cover – White, model number MQ4M2ZM/A, one (1) illustrated book featuring the Grand Prize winner’s entry submission, one (1) pizza party for the winner’s class, and $1,000.00 for the Grand Prize winner’s school. Approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $2,500.00 CAD. Genworth Financial Mortgage Insurance Company Canada (the Contest “Sponsor”) will also donate $50,000.00 CAD towards the building of a new Habitat for Humanity home in a community of the Grand Prize winner’s choice. The Grand Prize winner will be able to choose a community from a list of eligible local Habitats. If a selected Grand Prize winner is home schooled, the value of the pizza party and school gift portions of the Grand Prize will be added to the amount donated to Habitat for Humanity.
- There are ten (10) Second Prizes available to be won, each consisting of one (1) iPod touch 32GB – Space Grey, model number MKJ02VC/A, and one (1) pizza party for each Second Prize winner’s class. Approximate retail value of each Second Prize is $450.00 CAD. On behalf of each Second Prize winner, Genworth Financial Mortgage Insurance Company Canada will donate one (1) $5,000.00 CAD grant to a local Habitat of the winners’ choice, which will support the building of a new home in that community. If a selected Second Prize winner is home schooled, the value of the pizza party portion of the Second Prize will be added to the amount donated to Habitat for Humanity.
- There are eighteen (18) Third Prizes available to be won, each consisting of one (1) Inukshuk. Approximate retail value of each Third Prize is $25.00 CAD.
VIDEO SUBMISSION PRIZE:
- There is one (1) Video Submission Prize available to be won, consisting of one (1) iPod touch 32GB – Space Grey, model number MKJ02VC/A. Approximate retail value of the Video Submission Prize is $249.00 CAD.
ONLINE SUBMISSION BONUS PRIZE:
- There is one (1) Online Submission Bonus Prize available to be won, consisting of one (1) iPod touch 32GB – Space Grey, model number MKJ02VC/A. Approximate retail value of the Video Submission Prize is $249.00 CAD.
- Each eligible entry received in the Contest will have $10.00 CAD donated to the local Habitat closest to their postal code or city of residence on each entrant’s behalf. A maximum of 7,000 (seven thousand) eligible entries (to a total of $70,000 CAD) will be eligible for the Habitat for Humanity donation. The Contest Sponsor may make more than 700 (seven hundred) $10.00 CAD donations to Habitat for Humanity at their sole discretion.
- The Prizes in this Contest will not be awarded unless each Prize Winner’s parent or legal guardian has signed a Declaration and Release Form, in accordance with the “General” section below.
- The Prizes in this Contest must be accepted as described in these Official Contest Rules and Regulations and cannot be transferred, assigned, changed, substituted for another prize, or exchanged in whole or in part, for cash, subject to the provisions set forth elsewhere in these Official Contest Rules and Regulations. All incremental costs in using or claiming a Prize not outlined in the Prize descriptions are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winners.
- If a potential winner does not choose the local Habitat within ten (10) business days following being notified as a potential winner, the Sponsor will assume responsibility for selecting a local Habitat.
- The odds of winning a Prize in this Contest depend upon the quality and number of eligible entries received for each prize and/or draw.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- No purchase necessary.
- To enter the Contest online, write a composition, essay or poem (between 50 and 300 words) telling us what home means to you and fully complete the official online entry form including, but not limited to, the entrant’s first and last name, address, city, province, postal code, telephone number and email address on the official entry form found at www.meaningofhome.ca and click “submit” and you will automatically be entered in the Contest.
- To enter the Contest by mail, fully complete the official Contest submission form available at www.meaningofhome.ca write a composition, essay or poem (between 50 and 300 words) telling us what home means to you on a blank white piece of paper and include your entry, first and last name, age, address, city, province, postal code, telephone number, school name and email address, and mail it to “The Meaning of Home Writing Contest”, P.O. Box 400 STN A, Orangeville, ON L9W 2Z7 in a postage-paid envelope.
- To enter the draw for the Video Submission Prize you must include a video link with your submission. To submit your video, upload the video to YouTube and include the words “Meaning of Home 2017” in your title. Once uploaded, include the video link with your online entry at http://meaningofhome.ca/. By submitting a video entry you agree to the Sponsor tagging, sharing and/or embedding your video on the Meaning of Home YouTube page. The Sponsor reserves the discretion to tag, share and/or embed only those videos deemed appropriate. Entries for the Video Submission Prize are separate from and have no influence on entries received for the Grand and Second Prizes.
- By submitting a composition, essay or poem and entering the Contest, all entrants agree to any rewrites or revisions of their submissions as directed by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, although any such editing will be done in a way that does not change the intent of the composition, essay or poem submitted. All entries must be original and written in English or French to be considered for entry into this Contest.
- Each video submission entry must be the original creation of each entrant and must not contain any pre-existing, third party content. Third party content includes and is not limited to trademarks, brands, logos, images, voices, sounds, music, visual effects and/or videos that are not the property of the entrant.
- No responsibility is assumed by the Sponsor, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns, for any disruption to telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software or failure of any entry to be received because of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for lost, late, stolen, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete or illegible entries, as well as any printing, administrative or other error of any kind in connection with this Contest. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility or liability resulting from user attempts to participate in this Contest or, if required, download any information necessary to participate in this Contest.
- This Contest is open only to legal residents of Canada who are students in Grades 4, 5 or 6 and who are residing in Canada at the time of participation in this Contest. Entrants must have parental permission before participating in this Contest.
- You are not eligible if you are an employee, representative or agent of the Sponsor, or any of the Sponsor’s affiliates, subsidiaries, parent or related companies, advertising or promotional agencies or a member of the immediate family or household of any of the above persons.
- Entries will be accepted during the Contest Period only.
- Starting no later than the week of January 8, 2018, a panel of judges selected by the Sponsors (the “Judging Panel”) will select eight (8) Semi-Finalists from all eligible entries received during the Contest Period from each of the following regions: Atlantic (Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island), Prairies (Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Nunavut), Quebec and Pacific (British Columbia and Yukon) and sixteen (16) from Ontario.
- The Grand Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize winners will be selected by the Judging Panel from the thirty (30) Semi-Finalist entries based on a pre-determined set of judging criteria. One (1) Semi-Finalist will be selected as the Grand Prize winner, ten (10) Semi-Finalists will be selected as the Second Prize winners, and eighteen (18) Semi-Finalists will be selected as the Third Prize winners and 1 video winner. Prize winners are eligible for one (1) prize only. On or after January 16, 2018, ten (10) Semi-Finalist entries from the Atlantic, Prairies, GTA, Ontario, Quebec and Pacific regions will be posted online at www.meaningofhome.ca for viewing only.
- Starting the week of January 8, 2018, a panel of judges made up of representatives of the Sponsors (the “Judging Panel”) will select one (1) Video Submission Entry as the winner of the Video Submission Prize from all eligible entries received for the Video Submission Prize based on a pre-determined set of judging criteria.
- The selected entrants will be contacted by telephone, mail or e-mail. In the event a selected entrant cannot be contacted within fourteen (14) days of the selection date, another entrant will be selected in accordance with these rules.
- In order to be declared the winner of a Prize, a selected entrants’ parents or legal guardians must complete and sign a Declaration and Release Form and correctly answer, unaided, a time limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a mutually convenient time over the telephone. There will be only one opportunity to answer the mathematical skill-testing question. An eligible entrant’s parent or legal guardian who provides an incorrect answer will no longer be eligible to win a Prize in this Contest. The procedure outlined above will be followed until the Prizes in this Contest have been awarded.
- The selected entrants’ parents or legal guardians will have fourteen (14) days to return their Declaration and Release Form to the independent contest administrator. If the selected entrant does not return their Declaration and Release Form within fourteen (14) days, the entrant will be declared ineligible and another entrant will be selected in accordance with these Official Contest Rules and Regulations.
- Potential winners must be residing in Canada at the time of the Sponsor’s official press release, on a date determined solely by the Sponsor.
- All entries become the property of the Sponsor and none shall be returned. Entries may be published by the Sponsors, at their sole discretion, and if published, will not include the entrant’s full name or address information. By entering this Contest and submitting a composition, essay or poem and entering the Contest, entrants indicate their consent to their personal information being stored, used and processed for purposes concerning this Contest by the Sponsor. The potential and declared Prize Winners’ information including his/her names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers and/or e-mail addresses, will be shared with the Sponsor, Habitat For Humanity, and the independent contest administrator, as required to award the Prizes in this Contest.
- The Prizes available in this Contest must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable and no substitutions will be made, whether in cash or otherwise, except at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equivalent or greater value, in the event that, for reasons beyond their control, the Sponsor is unable to award a Prize as described in these rules.
- The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for failure of the internet during the promotional period, or any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend the online portion of this Contest should a virus, bug or other cause beyond their reasonable control corrupt the security or proper administration of the Contest, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux.
- The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual that it finds to be in violation of these Official Contest Rules and Regulations or tampering with the Contest process. The Sponsor reserves the right to refuse an entry from a person whose eligibility is in question or who has been disqualified or is otherwise ineligible to participate. Entries generated by script, macro, robotic, programmed, or any other automated means are prohibited and will be disqualified. Any attempt by anyone to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is in violation of criminal and civil laws and the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages or other legal remedy to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- By participating in this Contest, all entrants grant to the Sponsor a worldwide, non-exclusive, unrestricted, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, assignable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, translate, license, publicly perform and display the submitted entry essays, images or video (in whole or in part) and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, without your prior approval, and all entrants further waive any copyright that they may have in the submitted entry information. In addition, by submitting an entry in this Contest, each entrant represents and warrants that they own and control all rights in and to the submitted entry information and that each entrant has the right to grant the foregoing rights to the Sponsor.
- By participating in this Contest, entrants’ parents or legal guardians agree that they have provided permission to participate in this Contest and to comply with these Official Contest Rules and Regulations and with the decisions of the Sponsor, the Judging Panel and/or the independent contest administrator, which are irrevocable and shall be legally binding in all instances.
- By participating in this Contest, the Prize Winners’ parents or legal guardians agree to sign a Declaration and Release Form in the manner prescribed herein, releasing the Sponsor, their affiliates, respective advertising and promotional agencies, and the independent contest administrator from any liability in connection with this Contest or the Prizes awarded.
- By participating in this Contest, all entrants and Prize Winners’ parents or guardians agree to the use of their names, addresses (city and province only), photos, and/or images on videotape for publicity purposes relating exclusively to this Contest without compensation.
- By accepting a Prize in this Contest, the Prize Winners’ parents or legal guardians absolve the Sponsor, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns, harmless from and against any and all claims and liability arising out of or in any way connected with the operation of this Contest and use of a Prize. The Prize Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest or use or redemption of a Prize.
- In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person entering the Contest electronically, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the “authorized account holder” in whose name the e-mail account is registered, provided that person meets all eligibility criteria of this Contest. “Authorized account holder” shall mean the natural person assigned to an e-mail address and/or telephone number, by an Internet service provider, on-line service provider, telephone service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
- This Contest and the terms and conditions contained in these Official Contest Rules and Regulations, shall be exclusively governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. Any dispute arising hereunder shall be adjudicated solely in the applicable court in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
- Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.